Once you have fruit mince in stock, these fruit mince bars (or squares) are a snap to make! They may not be as whimsical as Christmas mince pies, but they are delicious and a festive addition to any platter of teatime treats.
This versatile dough is ideal for jam bars as well.
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) butter
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups (approximately) fruit mince
- 3-4 tablespoons powder sugar for dredging
- Cream the butter, sugar and salt.
- Add the egg and beat well.
- Mix in the flours and baking powder until blended and crumbly.
- Press about ⅔ of the dough firmly onto the base of a baking sheet, approximately 9x14 inches – pre-greased if necessary.
- Spread a layer of fruit mince over the base and crumble the remaining dough over the top. Press down lightly.
- Bake at 350˚F for 30-40 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Cool slightly before cutting into bars, fingers or squares.
- When completely cold, use a sieve to sprinkle lightly with powder sugar.