Quick and easy dessert
This crustless tart will provide the finishing touch to a meal without any special planning or effort. Basic ingredients are used. Everything is mixed together and put into the oven, and the result can be eaten hot, warm or cold – with or without the addition of custard, cream or ice cream.
The ingredients form a base, a custard layer and a lightly toasted coconut topping and could possibly pass as a very basic South African “Klappertert” (Coconut tart).
This tart gives that bit of sweetness that one hankers after, especially when it is cold and grey outside!
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ stick (2 ounces) butter, room temperature
- 4 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 2 cups milk
- Beat the sugar, salt and butter together until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- Fold in the flour and coconut.
- Add the milk and blend together.
- Pour into a greased deep pie dish or an ovenproof dish with a 1½-quart capacity.
- Bake at 350˚F for 30-40 minutes until just set.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm or cold.