The “Bread and cheese bake” can be doubled or tripled, depending on the number of hungry people around and served for breakfast, brunch, lunch or a light supper.
Ham, fried bacon, mushrooms, or fresh herbs can be added.
- 3 slices bread, white or brown, crusts removed
- butter or margarine for spreading
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheese
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon sharp mustard powder, mixed with a little of the milk, optional
- dash of black pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper, optional
- Spread the bread with butter, cut into cubes and arrange in an ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the bread.
- Beat the eggs, milk and seasoning together until well blended.
- Pour over the bread and cheese and set aside for at least 30 minutes.Place in a water bath (a larger dish or pan with about 1 inch of water) and bake at 325°F for about an hour. Test whether it is done by inserting a knife in the center of the dish. If it is milky, bake the dish a little longer.