The vivid colors in this kale stir-fry provide both eye appeal and nutritional value.
Kale is high in fiber, iron, anti-oxidants and vitamins, especially K and A, and has anti-inflammatory properties. Fresh ginger is an absolute must in this recipe – it softens the distinctive flavor of kale, which can be quite overpowering. This easy side dish pairs well with bredies (stews), such as Tomato bredie, page 64 in our book – the ultimate comfort food during these cold winter months.
For a light and delicious supper, top with a couple of poached eggs.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch kale, washed, deveined and finely shredded
- 1 large onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, cleaned and halved or quartered
- 2 carrots, scraped and cut into thin julienne strips or diagonal chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
- small piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and finely chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan and add the onion.
- Stir over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes and then add the kale, followed by the mushrooms about 2 minutes later, while stirring continuously.
- Add the carrot, garlic and ginger last and stir-fry until the carrot is crisp-tender.