Before we move on to more summery recipes, I’d like to share this Curried beef recipe from our book, South African Cooking in the USA (page 66).
This mild beef curry with an interesting blend of flavors is easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time. Indian-style curries are popular in South Africa, and there are several to choose from in our book!
We have a recipe for a delicious Hot Durban curry (page 67) as well as a flavorsome Curried chicken (page 60) and a Vegetable curry (page 109. See also our Curried lamb blog.
Curries can be served with chutney. Our favorite chutney is one made with dried fruit (see page 188). It is very similar to Mrs. Balls chutney, which is a household name in South Africa and is available at many stores here in the USA.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 pounds stewing steak or chuck, cubed
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup apricot jam
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½-1 cup boiling water
- 2 large potatoes, scrubbed or peeled, and cubed
- Place the oil, beef and onion in a casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with flour, mix, cover with a lid and bake in the oven at 350⁰F for about an hour.
- Mix the remaining ingredients, excluding the potatoes, and add to the meat. Mix carefully, to loosen the brown, crispy bits from the base. Cover and return to the oven, at 325⁰F, for another hour, or until the meat is tender.
- Add the potato and return to the oven for about 30 minutes, until the potato is cooked.
- Adjust the flavor and consistency of the sauce if necessary. Serve on rice.
Sprinkle with flour and mix well.
Add the remaining ingredients, excluding the potato, mix, cover and simmer for about 2 hours, until the meat is tender. Add a little boiling water if necessary.
Add the potato cubes for the last 30 minutes of cooking. Adjust the flavoring and consistency of the sauce.
This dish can be prepared in a slow cooker. Follow the manufacturer’s directions.