Summer is eventually on its way! As the days become longer, our thoughts turn to outdoor living, braais (barbecues) and patio entertaining.
This cheesecake is quick and easy to prepare and can be made in advance. Garnish with whipped cream and seasonal berries, and serve as a lovely, light ending to a summer supper or for afternoon tea. Pairs well with creamy, South African-style Iced Coffees (page 194 of South African Cooking in the USA).
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup + 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups (16 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat the eggs and ⅔ cup of sugar together until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the cream cheese and beat until smooth.
- Scrape into a 9-inch pie dish and bake at 325˚F for about 40 minutes, until set.
- In the meantime, mix the sour cream, 3 tablespoons of sugar and vanilla in a bowl until smooth.
- When the cheesecake is cooked through, remove from the oven and set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Spread the sour cream mixture over the cheesecake and return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Serve cold.