In this hot weather, I like to have a quick and easy cold dessert to hand that can be thrown together at a moment’s notice. Something that has a few basic ingredients, can be whipped together quickly and easily, and be ready to serve within the hour.
This took me to thinking about Jeanne in Somerset West who makes this really easy, delicious fridge tart. When we sold our home and packed up, our dogs, Honey, a neurotic but lovable spaniel, and her joyful and placid little daughter, Pumpkin, moved in with Jeanne and Brian. The sadness of parting was replaced with thankfulness for the strong bond of love and understanding that instantly formed between the dogs and their new owners. Sadly, these special animals have passed on. Sometimes when I look at the sky, I imagine Honey and Pumpkin frolicking in the clouds, chasing large puffy cloud balls.
Back to the tart…… We call this variation of Jeanne’s tart “Cloud pudding”, in loving memory of Honey and Pumpkin!
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened, full cream condensed milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Stir together the lemon juice and condensed milk in a mixing bowl until it thickens.
- Whip the cream until stiff and fold into the lemon-condensed milk mix.
- Scrape into an attractive bowl and refrigerate until needed.