Hankering after boerewors (traditional farmer’s sausage), but aren’t set up to make your own and don’t have a convenient supply of it? Satisfy your craving with this delicious recipe for boerewors meatballs. Quick and easy, these meatballs are a great hit with kids and go well with tamatiesmoor (recipe page 85*) and mash.
Smaller versions of these meatballs can be served as appetizers. Pair with your favorite Stellenbosch red and serve alongside peppadew (page 21*) and chutney (page 20*) dips to spice up your next cheese and wine party with a taste of South Africa.
*These recipes are in our book, “South African Cooking in the USA”
- 1 slice bread
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- Combine the bread, water, vinegar and spices in a mixing bowl.
- Add the meat and mix well.
- Divide into 8 meatballs and pack into a baking dish.
- Bake at 350˚F for 40-50 minutes.